What we fund
WMT manages a number of schemes across the UK which can support repair and conservation works. This page outlines the type of works that can be funded by grant schemes administered by War Memorials Trust and what cannot be funded.
The helpsheet What we can and cannot fund provides further details to support the summary information below.
Please read this page and the What we can and cannot fund helpsheet carefully to identify if your project is eligible. If you are not sure then please contact us to discuss. WMT is happy to provide advice and discuss your project with you to see how we can help.
Types of works we can fund
- Like-for-like repair
- Structural repair/stabilisation
- Reinstatement of lost elements that form an integral part of the design
- Addition of names where they can be accommodated on the memorial
- Professional condition surveys and structural reports
All the grant schemes administered by WMT follow best conservation practice. The principles behind our conservation approach can be found in our helpsheet Conservation principles. This summarises the approaches we follow and the type of works that can be funded. Further information on best conservation practice and sources of advice can be found below.
You can also use our Grants Showcase to see examples of projects previously funded. This can be searched in a number of ways to find projects by location, grant value, type of memorial or type of work.
Types of work we cannot fund
- New war memorials
- Inappropriate work or methods
- Relocation, unless the memorial is ‘at risk’ or inaccessible - this needs to be a choice of last resort
- Works to graves of any type
- Applications to multiple schemes administered by the Trust for the same work
- Where the work has already started or been completed
The principle behind what can be funded by War Memorials Trust is best conservation practice. There is a range of advice available to you to ensure works undertaken follow best conservation practice. A selection of advice from WMT and the national heritage bodies is provided below which you may want to consult through your project or direct any contractors you deal with towards to ensure they understand that they will need to follow best conservation practice.
WMT can advise you on best conservation practice at any point - just contact us.
- WMT helpsheets: WMT has a range of helpsheets and advice on conservation available on the website
- Cadw - Caring for War Memorials in Wales and Caring for War Memorials in Wales - technical guidance
- Historic England - The Conservation, Repair and Management of War Memorials
- Historic Environment Scotland - The repair and maintenance of war memorials