Step 1: Submit your Grants Pre-application
Wherever you are in the UK and whatever type of war memorial, works and cost your grant application starts with a Grants Pre-application form. This simple form enables you to provide the initial information WMT needs to assess if your project can be helped by our funding.
The exception to this is Wales - there is a separate scheme in Wales run by Cadw - see our advice on Wales.
To start your enquiry about a grant
- Read the What we fund section to check if WMT can fund your project. If you are not sure if your project is eligible then contact us
- Download a Grants Pre-application form, fill it in and return it to WMT with photographs
What is a Grants Pre-application form?
It is a simple two-page form which allows you to explain your project and provide some background information. It is an informal funding enquiry - it is not a grant application.
- must include recent good quality colour photographs
- should provide as much information as you have available at this stage. If you have a quote or quotes then include them. If you do not have quotes at this stage it does not matter, but you should give details of the specific works you intend to undertake rather than using general terms such as 'renovate' and 'restore'. These are too vague for WMT to comment on
If you do not know what works the memorial needs then contact WMT to request our advice.
What happens to my Grants Pre-application form?
When you submit your Grants Pre-application form WMT aims to:
- acknowledge we have received your form within one week
- provide advice on whether your project can be funded within six weeks
Please be aware that during the centenary of World War I there is a lot of interest in war memorial projects so response times will vary depending on the number of forms currently being dealt with.
What advice will WMT provide?
If WMT believes your project is eligible for funding you will receive:
- comments on the information in your Grants Pre-application form
- advice on best conservation practice for the works you plan to undertake. This advice should be read and followed. Submitting an Application Form which ignores our advice is likely to lead to a rejection. If you have any questions or concerns about the information provided you should contact us to discuss. We are happy to provide further information and advice throughout the grant process
- an Application Form with Guidance Notes which you will need to complete to make a formal application
If WMT does not believe your project is eligible for funding you will receive:
- details on why it is not eligible
- advice on what WMT could fund in place of the works proposed if an alternative solution is possible