England: Grants for War Memorials
This scheme is funded by English Heritage and The Wolfson Foundation and administered by War Memorials Trust. Below is an outline of the key information relating to the scheme, but please see the ‘Guidance notes' for detailed information on all aspects of making an application and eligible works.
Please note that this scheme is currently being reviewed. As such the information on this page may differ from that in the 'Guidance notes'. The information on this page is the most up to date and may be subject to further amendment in the near future.
- Freestanding war memorials in England with no other functional purpose than as a war memorial (plaques, bridges and buildings, for example are ineligible)
- Projects must be over £3,000 to be eligible
- 31st March
- 30th June
- 30th September
- 31st December
These are yearly deadlines and the scheme is currently intended to run through the centenary period.
Decisions on applications are advised approximately 10 weeks after the deadline. Due to the tight time frames involved any applications received after these published deadlines will not be considered until the following round.
Amount of funding available:
- Up to a maximum of 75% of eligible costs, with a maximum grant of £30,000
- If the total project cost is over £20,000 a conservation-accredited architect or surveyor must be contracted on the project
- If the applicant is not responsible for the memorial, written permission must be supplied from the owner consenting to the works
- Any additional permissions required, such as Listed Building Consent, must be obtained before commencement
- Three quotes are required for an application to this scheme
Examples of eligible works:
- Urgent and necessary repairs and structural stabilisation
- Cleaning, under certain circumstances
- Works relating to ‘hard’ landscaping which form an integral part of the design of the memorial
- Reinstatement of lost elements which form an integral part of the design of the memorial when supported by historical evidence
Examples of ineligible works:
- New war memorials
- Works to graves of any type
- Alterations or additions to the original design
- Addition of names
- Cosmetic cleaning
- Work which has already started or been completed
- If you are interested in applying to this scheme, you must first complete a ‘Grants Pre-application form’
- If your project is eligible then you will be sent the appropriate application documents
- Please ensure you allow adequate time to submit a ‘Grants Pre-application form’ and receive a decision on this as well as making an application in time for the deadlines above. It is recommended to submit your application in advance of the deadline to allow time for additional information to be obtained if required