Workshops / Training
As part of a UK government initiative the Prime Minister announced in December 2013 £5 million to support war memorials through the centenary of World War I. Further details of that funding were announced in July 2014. WMT has £3 million for grants and conservation support with other organisations delivering elements of a partnership initiative.
Civic Voice, the umbrella body for civic societies in England, has £0.5 million to run workshops across England between 2015-18 "to help build skills to assess the condition of war memorials and encourage their conservation". Workshops are free for attendees. WMT, and others in the partnership, is offering assistance to Civic Voice in developing content for the workshops. This will ensure material is consistent with other aspects of the programme and that a joined up programme to assist the protection and conservation of war memorials through the centenary of World War I is delivered.
Watch a short video to find out more.
Workshops will vary in content depending on their focus but may cover issues including, but not exclusive to:
- condition surveys - guidance on understanding condition levels and support on using War Memorials Online
- listing war memorials - guidance on submitting war memorials to Historic England for statutory listing
- applying for grant funding - guidance on submitting a grant application to War Memorials Trust including processes, requirements and expectations
To book your free place(s) on a workshop go to the Civic Voice website. You will be directed to the events page and can locate the war memorial sessions.
Current war memorial workshop dates and locations:
Below are dates of some of the workshops planned. Check the Civic Voice website for the most up-to-date list.
Workshops currently planned will focus on assessing and recording condition and listing.
Condition survey workshops:
- 18th January 2017 - Derby
- 21st January 2017 - Tamworth
- 24th January 2017 - Norwich
- Late Jan/early Feb 2017 (date TBC) – Bolton & North Manchester
- 1st February 2017 - Nottingham
- 1st February 2017 - Portsmouth
- 10th February 2017 - Middlesbrough
- 22nd February 2017 - Twickenham (south-west London)
- 1st March 2017 - Oxford
- 8th March 2017 - Truro (Cornwall)
- 5th April - York
- 26th April - Cambridge
- 27th April - Northampton
- 11th May - St. Albans
- 16th May - Guildford
- 25th May - Ipswich
- 6th June - Lancaster
- 4th July - Bedford
Dates and times of sessions will be released in due course.